Normally on the first of January the Coast Guard comes out with their Official reading list. This year it came out a few months later, and they made a few changes. The first change is the reading list is no longer being called the “Commandant’s reading list” and is now being called the “Professional Development Reading list”. This was done with the intent of broadening the interest across the workforce and adding diversity to the subject matter and ideas presented. The second change is the reading list went from the normal 10 books to 14 books and includes two books by Navy authors. Turn the Ship around, a story of transforming a Nuclear Submarine from the worst performing to the best performing submarine in the fleet, and The Trident should be on every Coast Guard and Navy leaders reading list.
- Multipliers by Liz Wiseman
- The Hundred-Year Marathon: China’s Secret Strategy to Replace America as the Global Superpower by Michael Pillsbury
- Turn the Ship Around! by L. David Marquet
- Life 3.0; Being Human in the Age of Artificial Intelligence by Max Tegmark
Tribe of Mentors by Tim Ferriss
- Into the Storm by Tristram Korten
- Making Yourself Indispensable: The Power of Personal Accountability by Mark Samuel
- It Worked for Me: In Life and Leadership by Colin Powell
- The Trident: The Forging and Reforging of a Navy SEAL Leader by Jason Redmon
- Longitude: The Story of the Lone Genius Who Solved the Greatest Scientific Problem of His Time by Dava Sobel
- Grit by Angela Duckworth
- Misbehaving; The Making of Behavioral Economics by Richard Thaler
- Why are All the Black Kids Sitting Together in the Cafeteria? by Dr. Beverly Tatum
- Back Channel to Cuba: The Hidden History of Negotiations Between Washington and Havana by William LeoGrande and Peter Kornbluh.
- China: As a Polar Great Power by Anne-Marie Brady
DODReads provides high quality content for life long learners; not overbearing adds, spam, or popups. If you appreciate our content and intend on purchasing a military reading list for your library or command we would be honored if you consider buying from us first.