A Summary of The Two Mindsets and The Power of Believing You Can Improve
Every week the officers in our command get together and spend 20 minutes on personal and professional development training. It is a time of discussion where we view a short video or read a short article and then discuss how we can use that information to make ourselves better, our command better, and our Navy better; in that order. The training also gives me the opportunity to learn from the collective and share my thoughts and prospective from 20 years of hard won experience.This week we read “Carol Dweck: A Summary of The Two Mindsets And The Power of Believing That You Can Improve”. A theory of the two mindsets and the differences they make in outcomes. This book was one of my favorite books this year and should be placed on the next Navy Reading List. Reading “Mindset” gave me the ahah moment and helped me better relate and understand, and empathize with those people with a fixed mindset.
Our Officer Training Discussion questions are below:
- Did you have the “ahah” moment once your understood the “Two mindsets principles”?
- How can we develop a growth mindset in others?
- Assuming that everyone around the table has a growth mindset; how can we better develop that mindset?
- How did you learn from your last failure? Was it worth it?
- Describe a man with 40 years of growth mindset vs a man with 40 years of a fixed mindset.
- What can we take with us this week?
DODReads provides high quality content for life long learners; not overbearing adds, spam, or crazy popups. If you appreciate our content and intend on purchasing a military reading list for your library or command we would be honored if you consider buying from us first.