Every week the Naval Officers in our command get together and spend 20 minutes on personal and professional development training. It is a time of discussion where we view a short video or read a short article and then discuss how we can use that information to make ourselves better, our command better, and our Navy better; in that order. The training also gives me the opportunity to learn from the collective and share my thoughts and prospective from 20 years of hard won experience.
This week we read “Don’t Widen the Plate” by Ralph and BA. Expecting to learn about curveballs and bunting and how to run better practices, instead learning something much more valuable.
Some of the questions we discussed:
- Are you accountable or do you change the rules?
- Do you have consequences for not meeting standards?
- Are we allowing others to widen our home plate?
- The plate is 17″ what in our command is 18″? 22? 30″? What should be done about it?
- How can we apply the principle of “don’t widen the plate” in our command this week?
DODReads provides high quality content for life long learners; not overbearing adds, spam, or popups. If you appreciate our content and intend on purchasing a military reading list for your library or command we would be honored if you consider buying from us first.