The Building Blocks Of True Knowledge
Every week the officers in our command get together and spend 20 minutes on personal and professional development training. It is a time of discussion where we view a short video or read a short article and then discuss how we can use that information to make ourselves better, our command better, and our Navy better; in that order. The training also gives me the opportunity to learn from the collective and share my thoughts and prospective from 20 years of hard won experience.
This week we read “First Principles: The Building Blocks of True Knowledge” by fs.blog. The idea is to break down complicated problems and reassemble them from the ground up; one of the best ways to learn.
Some of the questions we discussed from the First Principles Article
- What are the differences between “Rules for Life” and “Principles for Life?”
- What do you prefer, a senior telling you what to do or a senior giving you the principles for thinking through a problem?
- When you interact with your subordinates do you tell them what to do, or give them the principles to think for themselves?
- What are some principles you follow?
- What are some of the principles our command needs to follow?
- How can we implement the principles of principles this week?
DODReads provides high quality content for life long learners; not overbearing adds, spam, or crazy popups. If you appreciate our content and intend on purchasing a military reading list for your library or command we would be honored if you consider buying from us first.