Every week the officers in our command get together and spend 20 minutes on personal and professional development training. It is a time of discussion where we view a short video or read a short article and then discuss how we can use that information to make ourselves better, our command better, and our Navy better; in that order. The training also gives me the opportunity to learn from the collective and share my thoughts and prospective from 20 years of hard won experience.
Officer Training Discussion Questions:
- How do we deal with a 1/c Petty Officer who does great at his job, but just does not have the aptitude or people skills to lead?
- Is there one of these skills more important than the other?
- What do we do with the individual that only cares about the mission and not about the people doing the mission?
- What if that person is us?
- What can we apply today as we walk out this door?
This week we read “The Quickest Way to Great Leadership Won’t Happen Without Improving These 3 People Skills” by Marcel Schwantes from Fleet CPO Training Team Newsletter-January 2019.Improving-3-people-Skills
DODReads provides high quality content for life long learners; not overbearing adds, spam, or popups. If you appreciate our content and intend on purchasing a military reading list for your library or command we would be honored if you consider buying from us first.