What are you reading? is a podcast dedicated to inspiring a culture of scholarship and lifelong learning in the Armed Forces. This podcast is in partnership with DODReads.com
What are you Reading? is hosted on Anchor.fm
- In episode 45, Brigid Calhoun interviews Lieutenant General Tom Spoehr, USA (Ret.) director of the Center for National Defense at the Heritage Foundation in Washington, D.C. They discuss LTG Spoehr’s baptism by fire as a platoon leader in Grenada in 1983, his role in the 2011 U.S. troop drawdown in Iraq, and David L. Roll’s […]
- In episode 44, Eugene Yang interviews General David Petraeus, United States Army (Retired). General Petraeus served at the highest levels of the military during crucial periods of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, including as the commander of ISAF, Commander, US Forces – Afghanistan, US Central Command, and as Commanding General, Multi-National Force – Iraq. […]
- In episode 43, Ryder Ashcraft interviews Lieutenant Colonel Rebecca Patterson, United States Army (Retired). LTC Patterson is the Associate Director of the Center for Security Studies at Georgetown University. They talk about topics such as gender and disability, overseas service, and the history of nation building in the United States Army. Listeners can also check […]
- In episode 42, Brigid Calhoun interviews Father Dominic Legge, a Catholic priest in the Dominican Order of Preachers. Fr. Dominic is an Army veteran, former DOJ lawyer, and director of the Thomistic Institute in Washington, D.C. They discuss the philosophy of Thomas Aquinas and how philosophy can help with military decision-making and taking care of […]
- In episode 41, Brigid Calhoun interviews Sergeant Major of the Army (SMA) Michael A. Grinston. SMA Grinston was sworn in as the 16th Sergeant Major of the Army on August 9th, 2019. He has held every enlisted leadership position in artillery, ranging from cannon crewmember to command sergeant major. He is a native of Jasper, […]
The views presented in this podcast are those of the participants and do not reflect the views of the Department of Defense or its components.